ideas for list moderation

From: Charles E. Lehner
To: list
add special characters to list names. apparently plus "+" is not so special. i heard that sourcehut had success because list names contain a slash "/" which bad senders could not handle.

add manual review step. let june handle incoming mail to determine which gets relayed. maybe allowlist sender addresses/domains

coordinate reporting to third parties. like https://manpages.debian.org/bookworm/claws-mail-spam-report/claws-mail-spam-report.7.en.html

Re: ideas for list moderation

From: june
Cc: list
> On Mar 15, 2024, at 12:32, Charles E. Lehner <cel@celehner.com> wrote:
>
> add special characters to list names. apparently plus "+" is not so special. i heard that sourcehut had success because list names contain a slash "/" which bad senders could not handle.

this list works in the dumbest possible way: list@causal.agency is
just an alias for a list of addresses in my personal fastmail
account. the + works because fastmail already routes mail that way.

> add manual review step. let june handle incoming mail to determine which gets relayed. maybe allowlist sender addresses/domains

again, since the address is just an alias, I can't do this. all the
spam that gets sent to list@ ends up filtered into my spam folder.
if it hits your inbox, then it seems like you have inadequate spam
filtering configured.

Re: ideas for list moderation

From: Arun Isaac
Cc: list
Hi june,

> all the spam that gets sent to list@ ends up filtered into my spam
> folder.  if it hits your inbox, then it seems like you have inadequate
> spam filtering configured.

Could you describe your spam filtering setup? There may be some tips in
there for those of us for whom the spam reaches our inbox.

Thanks,
Arun

Re: ideas for list moderation

From: june
> On Mar 15, 2024, at 13:51, Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> wrote:
>

> Hi june,
>
>> all the spam that gets sent to list@ ends up filtered into my spam
>> folder.  if it hits your inbox, then it seems like you have inadequate
>> spam filtering configured.
>
> Could you describe your spam filtering setup? There may be some tips in
> there for those of us for whom the spam reaches our inbox.

I use fastmail's "standard" spam protection setting.