/topic: mismatch between doc and behaviour

From: James Cook
Hi,

Earlier today I tried typing
	/topic #openbsd
to see what the current topic in #openbsd is. Instead, the effect was to
change the topic of a different channel (the currently active window) to
"#openbsd").

Based on the output of
	/help topic
I did not expect this to happen. Also in the first line of the help:
	TOPIC <#channel> :[new topic]
that ":" seems extra. (I guess it's needed if you're speaking raw IRC?)

--
James

Re: /topic: mismatch between doc and behaviour

From: june
> On Sep 18, 2022, at 18:30, James Cook <falsifian@falsifian.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Earlier today I tried typing
> 	/topic #openbsd
> to see what the current topic in #openbsd is. Instead, the effect was to
> change the topic of a different channel (the currently active window) to
> "#openbsd").
>
> Based on the output of
> 	/help topic
> I did not expect this to happen. Also in the first line of the help:
> 	TOPIC <#channel> :[new topic]
> that ":" seems extra. (I guess it's needed if you're speaking raw IRC?)

The /help command (with a topic argument) asks the server for its
description of a command, which is the raw IRC protocol. It's usually
not how the command actually works in catgirl. The source for catgirl
commands is in its manual page, under the COMMANDS section. In this
case, /topic always operates on the current channel.

Re: /topic: mismatch between doc and behaviour

From: James Cook
To: june
On Mon Sep 19, 2022 at 4:17 PM UTC, june wrote:
> > On Sep 18, 2022, at 18:30, James Cook <falsifian@falsifian.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Earlier today I tried typing
> > 	/topic #openbsd
> > to see what the current topic in #openbsd is. Instead, the effect was to
> > change the topic of a different channel (the currently active window) to
> > "#openbsd").
> >
> > Based on the output of
> > 	/help topic
> > I did not expect this to happen. Also in the first line of the help:
> > 	TOPIC <#channel> :[new topic]
> > that ":" seems extra. (I guess it's needed if you're speaking raw IRC?)
>
> The /help command (with a topic argument) asks the server for its
> description of a command, which is the raw IRC protocol. It's usually
> not how the command actually works in catgirl. The source for catgirl
> commands is in its manual page, under the COMMANDS section. In this
> case, /topic always operates on the current channel.

Ah, thanks for the explanation! Now that you point it out, I see the man
page describes it as "List the server help for a topic"; I should have
seen that.

--
James