action messages not being displayed

From: Yashraj Moghe
To: list
Heya!

I am pretty new to catgirl, I only learnt about it and started using it
less than a week or two ago, and when I started using it everything
seemed to work perfectly, and now any sort of action messages seemed to
have stopped working at all, whether I am using catgirl from config
files I wrote, or just opening up an irc chat window from the CLI, I
can't get any action messages to display, I checked with me chat logs
and those seem to properly have action messages, they just won't
display, I've tested different networks, different terminal emulators,
and different colour themes on terminal emulators, its weird and I think
its above my skill level to delve into C code to figure out whats
broken, any help would be appreciated because I really like the rest of
the irc client and would like to also set up the rest of the suite.

For general other information, I am running Debian Sid, catgirl is
installed via the Debian Repository, apt reports the version to be
2.2-1+b, I am using blackbox as my terminal emulator but the problem
seems to also occur on at least gnome-terminal.

warm regards,
disaster2life

Re: action messages not being displayed

From: june
Cc: list
> On Aug 8, 2024, at 07:18, Yashraj Moghe <yashraj.moghe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Heya!
>
> I am pretty new to catgirl, I only learnt about it and started using it less than a week or two ago, and when I started using it everything seemed to work perfectly, and now any sort of action messages seemed to have stopped working at all, whether I am using catgirl from config files I wrote, or just opening up an irc chat window from the CLI, I can't get any action messages to display, I checked with me chat logs and those seem to properly have action messages, they just won't display, I've tested different networks, different terminal emulators, and different colour themes on terminal emulators, its weird and I think its above my skill level to delve into C code to figure out whats broken, any help would be appreciated because I really like the rest of the irc client and would like to also set up the rest of the suite.
>
> For general other information, I am running Debian Sid, catgirl is installed via the Debian Repository, apt reports the version to be 2.2-1+b, I am using blackbox as my terminal emulator but the problem seems to also occur on at least gnome-terminal.

I wonder if this fix[1] in 2.2a solves the issue? could you try compiling from git and seeing if that works?

[1]: https://git.causal.agency/catgirl/commit/?id=492b7f7b9406b8e460c4a64aed45c70a8a8e152d

Re: action messages not being displayed

From: Yashraj Moghe
To: june
Cc: list
I tried compiling now, with gcc I got several more errors and
unrecognized flags, I assume it would be better to use clang? tried
that, more errors in compiling, I'll report here because I do not have
much experience with C programs, my apologies.

|cc -std=c11 -Wall -Wextra -Wpedantic -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wno-gnu-case-range -Wno-gnu-conditional-omitted-operand   -c -o
buffer.o buffer.c
In file included from buffer.c:38:
./chat.h:132:20: error: call to undeclared function 'strdup'; ISO C99
and later do not support implicit function declarations
[-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
         idNames[idNext] = strdup(name);
                           ^
./chat.h:132:20: note: did you mean 'strcmp'?
/usr/include/string.h:156:12: note: 'strcmp' declared here
extern int strcmp (const char *__s1, const char *__s2)
            ^
In file included from buffer.c:38:
./chat.h:132:18: error: incompatible integer to pointer conversion
assigning to 'char *' from 'int' [-Wint-conversion]
         idNames[idNext] = strdup(name);
                         ^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
./chat.h:223:11: error: call to undeclared function 'strdup'; ISO C99
and later do not support implicit function declarations
[-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
         *field = strdup(value);
                  ^
./chat.h:223:9: error: incompatible integer to pointer conversion
assigning to 'char *' from 'int' [-Wint-conversion]
         *field = strdup(value);
                ^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
buffer.c:109:14: error: call to undeclared function 'strdup'; ISO C99
and later do not support implicit function declarations
[-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
         line->str = strdup(soft->str);
                     ^
buffer.c:109:12: error: incompatible integer to pointer conversion
assigning to 'char *' from 'int' [-Wint-conversion]
         line->str = strdup(soft->str);
                   ^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
buffer.c:141:14: error: call to undeclared function 'wcwidth'; ISO C99
and later do not support implicit function declarations
[-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
                 } else if (wcwidth(wc) > 0) {
                            ^
buffer.c:211:14: error: call to undeclared function 'strdup'; ISO C99
and later do not support implicit function declarations
[-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
         soft->str = strdup(str);
                     ^
buffer.c:211:12: error: incompatible integer to pointer conversion
assigning to 'char *' from 'int' [-Wint-conversion]
         soft->str = strdup(str);
                   ^ ~~~~~~~~~~~
9 errors generated.
make: *** [<builtin>: buffer.o] Error 1|

I hope I am not missing something obvious here that I could have solved
on my own|.|

Regards,
disaster2life

From: june
Cc: list

> On Aug 9, 2024, at 15:13, Yashraj Moghe <yashraj.moghe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I tried compiling now, with gcc I got several more errors and unrecognized flags, I assume it would be better to use clang? tried that, more errors in compiling, I'll report here because I do not have much experience with C programs, my apologies.

looks like you may have just missed running ./configure before compiling?

Re: action messages not being displayed

From: Yashraj Moghe
To: june
Cc: list
... completely missed that, my apologies, building with that, and then
running the built version, action messages seem to work! I'll try and
contact the Debian person maintaining the package to update to 2.2a.

Thanks a lot!