STARTTLS

From: Alexander Monakov
Greetings,

I'm using catgirl to connect to a server where port 6697 is not open,
but it supports upgrading to TLS on the plaintext port with STARTTLS
(thankfully it's easy to hack in with a tiny patch).

My understanding is that STARTTLS is not in scope for catgirl, because
it's very clearly deprecated and perhaps not useful outside of 'niche'
cases. Is that about right? In case I'm not the only person wondering
about this, might be useful to have the reason written down somewhere.

But mainly I'm writing this to express my appreciation. Thank you!

Alexander

Re: STARTTLS

From: june
> On May 14, 2022, at 08:41, Alexander Monakov <amonakov@ispras.ru> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> I'm using catgirl to connect to a server where port 6697 is not open,
> but it supports upgrading to TLS on the plaintext port with STARTTLS
> (thankfully it's easy to hack in with a tiny patch).
>
> My understanding is that STARTTLS is not in scope for catgirl, because
> it's very clearly deprecated and perhaps not useful outside of 'niche'
> cases. Is that about right? In case I'm not the only person wondering
> about this, might be useful to have the reason written down somewhere.

Sorry, this got buried in my inbox. STARTTLS is indeed something I
don't want to support in catgirl since there's no reason it should
be used.